BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Letter from Ed Formoso

I met Ed Formoso a long time ago when we were both immersed in the local alternative music scene. I was working with fresh new talent like Parokya ni Edgar (yes, I discovered them for Universal Records) with an old school chum Ricky Santillan who was their manager then and Datu's Tribe; also managed by former classmate and Club Dredd owner Patrick Reidenbach.

Ed and I crossed paths again while I was working at Solar Sports and there he surprised me with his boundless enthusiasm for football and the local game.

He ran for president of the Philippine Football Federation but "lost" when Mari Martinez was declared the winner 15-14. Now the catch there is that the NSA's by-laws state that the for a winner to be declared, he must have a margin of at least two votes. So why was a winner declared?

Here's Ed's statement:
"I am happy and overwhelmed by the support that my friends are showing me although i am expecting more than the 14 votes . After all is said and done, i believe things will fall in place. The absolute majority according to our by-laws is 17 votes and the current vote count is 14-15 in favor of my opponent. We are examining our options at this time and looking at all legal and technical solutions. Therefore, I say to all, my journey to the PFF presidency is unfinished."

Best of luck, Ed. Let's see how this plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment