BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mo meet Kobe

Okay. It may sound a little too early, but let me say it… Black Mamba for NBA MVP.

In 57 games thus far, Kobe Bryant is averaging 27.8 points, 6.1 rebounds, 5.4 assists, and 1.95 steals per game. His team – which he slandered in a most tempestuous summer – has the third best record in the NBA and is tops once more in the frightening Western Conference.

I’m a rarity. A Michael Jordan fan who actually roots for Kobe. MJ still is the greatest player ever to lace on a pair of high tops but Bryant is more talented and skilled. Yes, it’s heresy. More so since I’ve always gone on record to say that I don’t like the west. So I’m still holding on that fleeting dream that the son of Jellybean Bryant will eventually don the Sixers’ red and white. But this isn’t about the east. It’s about Bryant being the best not only in the west but in the entire Association.

He’s been an NBA champ, scoring champ, slam dunk champ, all-star game MVP, defensive team stalwart, and so on and so forth. He’s going to be in Springfield for sure and the only thing missing is an NBA MVP.

No one else comes close this year. Hand the man the Maurice Podoloff Trophy.

Kobe Bryant for NBA MVP.

No comments:

Post a Comment