BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Boston Public Enemy #30*


Leave it up to Atlanta Hawks guard Mike Bibby to light the fire with the Boston fans. Bibby stuck it to Boston Celtics' fans before practice Tuesday. "They were kind of loud at the beginning," he said. "But a lot of these fans are bandwagon jumpers trying to get on this now. I played here last year, too. And I didn't see three-fourths of them. They're for the team now and they might get a little rowdy but that's about it."

When asked if he thought they were fair-weather fans, joining the party only after Boston's offseason trades that brought the Kid and Jesus Shuttlesworth to Beantown, Bibby didn't hesitate to pour more gasoline on the fire. "You could say that," he said. "I remember them having bags on their heads last year. It's a different look. I guess that's what happens when you win."

To be fair, he's right. The Banknorth TD Garden has had spotty attendance in recent years. But can you blame the fans? It's hard to watch when your team keeps losing.

If you're wondering why Public Enemy #30, then you have to consider the Yankees and their owners first before you can count anyone else. Bwahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment