BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Falling down

A man who attended a New York Mets game yesterday night lost his balance while on the escalator and fell to his death. This Brooklynite was the second fan to fall to his death.

I've only been to Shea Stadium like four times and that was when they were playing the New York Yankees. Those escalators always gave me the creeps more so since I have acrophobia.

Unlike in Yankee Stadium where you just walk up a winding ramp (there are escaltors I figure but does anyone take them) to go to the Upper Tier seats. But once I got to the high up sections I always made it a point that I had the right footing and went up slowly. It is pretty steep up there and I've always wondered if anyone had fallen off. One time though I did see someone lose his balance and fall a couple of rows down but not over the edge. Quite a few people got hurt cause he barreled into people who had their backs turned.

In the middle of a game in the Stadium, the walk way to the upper tier seats gets soaked with beer making it sticky. And I hate that feeling when my kicks become noisy and pick up all sorts of detritus on the streets because of it. But that is something I'd never do -- drink beer during a game. You lose control there's no telling what could happen up there. Especially when it gets windy or when the rain pours down.

But back to the Mets fan, I hope that ballparks look into better safety for the fans. When you see that escalator you'd know what I'd be talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment