BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, May 23, 2008

The PBA goes to Solar Sports



Years ago, Solar Sports bid for the rights to air the PBA. In spite of having the best bid, Solar mysteriously lost out. But it's a small world and there's no room for hard feelings. When I was working at Solar Sports, there was a move to release classic PBA games on DVD-video through Solar Entertainment but as we found out then, reels and tapes of many of those old games weren't archived properly resulting in many of them being worn out.

Just imagine... a box set of those classic Crispa-Toyota matches or even Ginebra-Tanduay. Even the Grand Slam Years. Early imports. Man, this would be a treat for the local hoops fan. Alas, I think it wasn't until the later years that tapes were stored properly.

Anyways, word is that Solar is gOT dibs on the PBA (according to PBA and Solar sources). So is it safe to say that the games will be on both C/S and BTV? And will Solar retain the current broadcasting corps of Mico Halili, Jason Webb, Richard Del Rosario, Dominic Uy, Barry Pascua et al? I asked Dominic Uy at the Team Nitro launch the other week at Gilly's and he said, "Your guess is as good as mine."

Will we see a mixture of old Solar/BTV hands (and my good buddies) Mark Zambrano, Vitto Lazatin, and Chiqui Reyes? Save for Vitto, the two dudes were my teammates at Team Solar before in the Ateneo Basketball League.

It's actually good for the PBA because of Solar/BTV's great relationship with the NBA. It's a great association if you ask me. Now where this leaves the PBL is anyone's guess.

No to showbiz in hoops! Keep it real.

CONGRATULATIONS TO SOLAR SPORTS/BTV!


No comments:

Post a Comment