BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Stanley Cup Finals at Hockeytown!



Rick Reilly is going to hate me for this (hey, I root for the New York Islanders). Yeah, the Detroit Red Wings are in their 23rd Stanley Cup Finals against the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chris Chelios is back. In case ya'll ain't familiar with Chris Chelios, he played great for his hometown Chicago Blackhawks until he got traded to the Red Wings at the turn of the millennium. Chelios led Team USA to a silver medal in the 2002 Winter Olympics and is still super despite his age. No more Mario Lemieux for the Penguins but they have their new wunderkind in Sidney Crosby.

Will Hockeytown rock again? With the Pistons hosting the suddenly vulnerable Celtics, it's a hot time in the city.

The Detroit Red Wings beat Pittsburgh 4-1 in Game 1 of the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment