BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Q: Now that the UAAP Men's basketball tournament is over, what have you been doing?
Rick: Ah, there are some stuff that I can't reveal right now. In a few days maybe. But aside from that, when I'm not busy I've reacquainted myself with my TV and DVD player watching the entire Season One of Life (starring Damian Lewis of Band of Brothers and Dreamcatcher fame), Heroes Season 2, the entire special edition DVD of Iron Man (thanks, Tiffany, my cousin who works at Dreamworks), and a documentary on Afghanistan. Whew, that's a lot!

Someone asked me why am I shifting towards writing different topics. Well, when I was contributing to the Philippine Daily Inquirer (while working at an ad agency), I was writing about bands and jazz musicians, young entrepreneurs, and about the never-ending insurgency in Mindanao. So now I've written something about Up Dharma Down that should also come out in the Business Mirror. It also represents a return to music. I also am writing about indie rock band Versus and one about Filipino art (that should also come out in a newspaper and the11-25pages.blogspot.com). If you ask friends of mine from school, they always talk about my passion for music. It was so easy to spot me carrying vinyl albums then. If XL Tajonera who is living in Cali now is reading this, then you'd remember that band we put up in school. Hahahaha. Man, that was a friggin' riot.

I am also writing about a very good friend of mine who joined the US Army and served a couple of tours in Iraq (he was there during the Invasion and was based in Fallujah). So now you can draw a correlation to the Afghanistan documentary. Hahahaha. If you read Bill Carter's Fools Rush In then you'll have an idea of what I am trying to do.

The nights have been kept alive by listening to Big Mountain (all their albums), Bob Dylan, (Highway 61 Revisited, John Wesley Harding and Slow Train Coming) and Smashing Pumpkins (Zeitgeist).

Q: Football's up?
Rick: Yes it is, but so's the NBA, NHL, and the Baseball World Series.

Q: You're a fan of France -- Les Bleus?
Rick: Yes, I am and this team is one that is in transition and in trouble. I know Zizou has been retired for two years but if you ask me, the team is struggling. Their play has been bad and they could miss the World Cup altogether if they continue this lackluster play.

I love them still for two players Sidney Govou and Franck Ribery. Raymond Domenech should play Ribery, the breakout star of the team during the last World Cup some more. Domenech (God give this man some clarity) should find players who match Ribery's enthusiasm and intensity. If you ask me, he was the unofficial MVP of Bayern Munich last year.

As much as I like Jeremy Toulalan, he needs to be more consistent. No aggresiveness on the pitch. And please bench William Gallas. Uninspired and out of shape.

On the other hand, I also follow England. Ah, who doesn't? It's like rooting for the Redeem Team. Of course, Fabio Capello is a genius. His willingness to change for the better of his team (such as having Steven Gerrard play up the middle of the right wing (as opposed to what the idiotic Steve McClaren did by asking him to play the left side. Hey have you every watch him over at Liverpool?). is a stroke of genius. England has scored 12 of their 14 goals after the half -- a sure sign of timely and apt adjustments in the locker room.

As for the captain's armband -- give it to Rio Ferdinand.

Q: Where can I buy soccer/football mags?
Rick: Someone was asking about FourFourTwo, World Soccer etc. Well, first of all, it's cheaper to buy them abroad. Really. It's cheaper in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Thailand. So if you know someone there have them send it over.

Nevertheless, for FourFourTwo, the best place to buy it is at Magazine Exchange in Megamall (near Toy Kingdom) or at Greenbelt 3 (near the cinemas). The best time to go is the 15th of every month when the new stocks come in. As for World Soccer, go to Fully Booked either Rockwell or Bonifacio High Street. But if you want football info, then go to ESPN, UEFA, or Four Four Two.

If you ask me the best football mag -- it's World Soccer. FourFourTwo is like Q magazine. half of it is unreadable and a waste of space. World Soccer is a no nonsense mag.

Q: Is there an Ateneo basketball book coming out?
Rick: I have no idea if Ateneo is doing one but I am writing one with the help of some people. Let's give it a week for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment