BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Teaching and making a difference. Get on up for Sports Nation.

Some of the coolest experiences in the last few years taking part in Alternative Class Day at Immaculate Conception Academy as a guest speaker/lecturer (on advertising), being asked to give two creative writing seminars in Ateneo, and conducting presentation skills and social entrepreneurship programs in San Beda, UST, and in Mindanao (for colleges and universities based in General Santos City and Davao). And this second semester, I'll be doing a few more again in UST, NU, and Adamson.

In recent months, I've been speaking a lot with people like Harvey Keh, Mark Ruiz, and Bam Aquino on social entrepreneurship and trying to make a difference. What these dudes do is really nothing short of inspiring and amazing. As for me, well, it's time to really put things into action. And i can't wait to work with these guys!

Some of those synergies are two ongoing projects -- Sports Nation and The Hope Project. The latter you'll hear sometime second week of November. But Sports Nation... well, I'm glad I have my buddies from inboundpass (http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/10/23/sports-nation-youre-invited/) -- Chris Soler and Mike Abasolo -- helping out in this and it's something we really look forward to. And you'll see greater synergy between the two sites in the near future. We're also plugging this on BTV (muchos gracias to Vitto! one of the coolest guys I know who should really write a book about his experiences in sports).

Sports Nation is a chance to do something really meaningful with sports. And if successful, we hope to roll this out elsewhere. It's sports with a historical perspective, a mindset for action, and cool discussion for passionate fans. Hey, me and Soler even have a term for guys who enjoy the world sport.. we're footballheads! Bwahahaha. But Sports Nation tackles more than just hoops. There's a lot but I can't spill the beans on that until you're there.

And we do hope to see many of you there. Thanks to those who've signed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment