BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm a Kobe Bryant fan but this guy is the MVP


When I was writing the NBA Preview for Maxim, I chafed at the early deadlines (two months before the start of the season) since so much could change in terms of player movement. The one thing I was perfectly at ease in terms of predicting it was pegging LeBron James to win the MVP Award.

After a Redeem Team summer where he truly shone on the international stage, I knew he was totally read for the NBA. In Beijing, James unveiled a hitherto unnoticed part of his arsenal... his defense.

And more than his offense, I think it is his defense (well, Mo Williams running the point helps too) that has picked up the club because he is just as serious about stopping opposing guards. And it's not just any guard but they opposing team's key man.

Witness his game saving stop on Kobe Bryant in the last game and his match-up with Paul Pierce.

Can you say MVP and a spot on the All-Defensive Team?


No comments:

Post a Comment