BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

On Obama's reference to Washington


As an ardent student of history and well versed in the Philippine and American Revolutions, I was particularly struck by President Obama's mention of George Washington's crossing the Delaware River. I was a kid during the American Bicentennial and remember being flooded with books from my aunt and my mum (who worked for the US government) about the events of 1776 and beyond. I think it began a lifelong interest in all things military; something that even prompted me to even consider a career in the service. I even had a few friends and a teacher who went into the armed forces (American and Philippine) and my grandfather was with the US Army although briefly.

The mention of Washington's crossing is apt and a powerful image. At that point, the Continental Army had been pushed out of New York and New Jersey and with a brutal winter on the way, the British thought that the revolution would collapse in a matter of time.

Washington's army -- ill-equipped for war and winter -- crossed the Delaware to attack the Hessian garrison in Trenton. It was a bold move and they captured what is now the capital of New Jersey. That victory gave life to the Continental Army that was losing the war. The Americans attacked Trenton a second time (for they had to push back because of the lack of supplies) which they once more won before pushing towards Princeton which they captured from the British.

Those three victories were the turning point for the American War of Independence.

Like the American Revolution, I had read extensively on the Philippine Revolution. I even parlayed that into a PLDT Centennial television ad that was a nice dream for a kid fresh out of school.

There are many stories of the Revolution that I enjoy and follow but the one that I have been fixated on is the Battle of Tirad Pass. That was in fact my original concept for the PLDT centennial commercials but my boss thought it was too overly dramatic and costly.

Nevertheless, I've kept at it and have refined it for a play. I'm reworking it too for a short piece that will come out in the Loyola School Bulletin next month.

I tried to go to Tirad Pass last December but should make the trek soon. I've been to Bataan and Corregidor and to Valley Forge in Pennsylvania. Does Ground Zero at the WTC count? My dream too, would be to go to Normandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment