BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Golf, Bethpage, and Ateneo golf


It started a few years ago when I drove for Jaguar President Willie Soong in Sta. Rosa. I drove his golf cart and caddied for him on the course that day. He was trying to beat some golf record for the most rounds of golf in a day and it was an honor to go around with him. I never was able to write the story that day because my files got damaged in my office computer because of Typhoon Milenyo. Hopefully, we can do that again. But yes, they beat the record.

Not soon after that, we brought back golf to Solar Sports but at that time I was making the move from the Makati office to the Antipolo offices where the broadcast studio is.

My neighbors play and so do some friends. I've mostly confined myself to jogging, walling at first but a few sets of tennis lately. I'm even getting a pair of spikes soon because I'm going to be playing football on weekends -- finally! Playing hoops for the first time in a while, I was pretty good in the first five minutes then after that I was an embarrassing liability coz I didn't have my legs anymore. It's hard to get back to optimum playing shape when you've put on a lot of weight.

The cool thing about is... I'm playing again. As for golf, I'm getting into it.

Watching the Memorial on the tube in its entirety was fun. And now there's the US Open at Bethpage Black. I went there before as a spectator for some corporate tournament. It's a public course but the US Open being held there for the second time since 2002 enhances it image.

It's a beautiful course although somewhat difficult to navigate. And seeing as to the rains drown out Day One with lots of golfers unable to tee off how does everyone adjust now?

The fairways are rather long but they've been shortened by 35 yards. The grass on the greens has been mowed or cropped more to give golfers more short game options. But if the USGA taketh some away they'll sure give it back as they increased the length of the 13th hole (Par 5) from 554 yards to 604; the longest in the course. Not a problem for long hitters like Tiger Woods.

The fourth hole, perhaps the standout for this course as it is not only breathtaking but challenging since one has to avoid hitting into the trees (gotta choose a good driver to stay in the fairways, buds), has been shorted from a Par 5 to a Par 4 making it the longest Par 4.

Ten of the 18 holes have been upgraded with the premise that it will make for better golf. Talk about challenges, huh?

And if things work out too, I'm writing about golf for a local magazine. Yahoo! Hahahaha. I'll get to play for free.

On another note about golf, this year's Jubilarian batch has put on sale some Ateneo golf items you might want to check out here:
http://ateneoalumniassociation.org/newsitem?nid=51

For Ateneo golf stuff, here's the official website:
http://www.ateneogolf.org/

See you in the driving range and on the links soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment