BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Outtakes from the feature story of the next Blueblood magazine

Busy day today. Didn't even get a chance to walk my damn dog. Bwahaha. Worked at the office. Went to the bank. Meetings here and there then off to Moro Lorenzo to shoot the main feature of the next issue of Blueblood magazine with Jay of BB and my Fabilioh mates Migs De Leon and Erwin Cabbab.

We got the whole team and the coaches and shots of the starting unit with Coach Norm.

The Lady Eagles and the Blue Eaglets will also be featured in the mag that is themed: Defend the Crown. The magazine and the story of last year's title run will be out this July.

In case you're wondering, the game between the 02 and 08 team will be July 3 at the Blue Eagle Gym. The time still hasn't been ironed out. Still working on things. Stay tuned here to get more info whether it pushes through or not.


One loyal reader of Brew wrote in and asked in what periodicals and publications have I written for. She informed me that she has a folder in her laptop of articles I've written. Wow. Well, I don't know what to say. She did ask where I've written since I started back in the early 90's (I only returned to writing in 2005 after a 12 year lapse.

Here they are: Philippine Daily Inquirer, News Today, Business Mirror, South China Morning Post, NBA Tower Sports, FHM, Men's Health, Maxim, Homestyle, Blueblood, Transit, Personal Fortune, Loyola School Bulletin, On the Hill, Philippine Free Press, Pinoycentral, and now, Rebound. I've had letters published in Jingle Magazine, Pulp, PDI, the New York Times, and comic books like Daredevil (Marvel), Fantastic Four (Marvel), Nexus (Dark Horse), Big Bang Comics (Image), and Aster (Fractal).

Inquirer. Yup. I wrote about alternative rock bands and music reviews, young entrepreneurs, comic books, and shopping. It was for PDI where I started experimenting with the style that I now use today. It was most obvious for the alt bands I was writing about. My piece on the Rizal Undergound was that first try then Parokya ni Edgar.

That love for music continued while doing racket work for pinoycentral where I was reviewing CDs (Prefab Sprout, X, Tool, and Unrest among many others).

News Today was an English tabloid spin-off from Times Journal which was co-owned by my aunt and Bejo Romuladez. That was my first ever stab at sports as I was the PABL beat reporter. After that I left for an advertising job. In addition to working in the Creative Department, I also did PR and research work for Sen. Leticia Ramos-Shahani, Mar Roxas, Ralph Recto, Fortune Tobacco, Greggy Araneta, and another columnist from a major daily.

LSB and On the Hill are Ateneo publications. Also in school, I chipped in all three level newspapers -- The Eaglet (GS), Hi-Lites (HS), and the Guidon (Coll).

Incidentally, I've been invited by the Guidon to be the guest speaker for the first General Assembly this July 17. A workshop is in the planning stage. Thanks, guys!

You know what magazine I really loved... and wish to continue (time permitting) -- Homestyle. I love that magazine.

Soon... a stab at travel writing for a travel magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment