BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Philippine Daily Inquirer Sportswriting Seminar

I truly enjoy giving talks, lectures, and seminars. Last year, I did three on social entrepreneurship at San Beda College, the University of Santo Tomas, and Mindanao State University. Then I did a creative writing seminar for the Comm Dept. of Ateneo and another for alternative class day for students of the Ateneo Grade School and LSGH. Am looking forward to next week's seminar with the Guidon. Some are bugging me to teach on a part-time basis. We'll see this second sem.
Sitting L-R: Ernie Sarmiento, Chito de la Vega, and me.

Chito de la Vega opens the seminar. He used to cover the PBA in the late 80's to late 90's.

Going back to my roots. Before I plunged into advertising, I wrote for the Philippine Daily Inquirer where I did feature stories on bands, young businessmen, comic books, and album reviews. I also did shopping tips one time! I also ghost wrote stuff for the Elan section. Isn't that hilarious! Bwahahaha. I did this for about a year as I was starting my career as a copywriter for Taipan-Bozell. Eventually, advertising became so time consuming I had to let that burgeoning writing career go. I didn't make money off it anyways. It was cool seeing my stuff in the newspaper though. But I guess watching one's commercials on TV or in the theaters was way more tops.

The last time I was in the PDI offices was to pick up a check and that was a long time ago. Its obviously changed somewhat. Chito de la Vega and Dennis Eroa showed me around the editorial offices including their 'war room' where they dissect their own paper for flaws and good stuff. They also take a look at every other broadsheet, the Business Mirror included. Hahaha. It's so nice to know that the Inquirer and Philippine Star have been keeping tabs on me. It's so cool and flattering. Thanks.

And it was even more flattering to be invited to be the opening speaker in the two-day seminar considering I am the only non-PDI speaker.

I took the morning session today while photog legend Ernie Sarmiento took the afternoon class. The audience participation was really good. Their insights and questions showed that we've got some very good young talent here.

We had 22 students (all from their school newspapers) in attendance -- Far Eastern University, San Beda College, Perpetual Help, Adamson University, Jose Rizal University, University of the East, College of Saint Benilde, De La Salle University, and the University of Santo Tomas. I had a blast doing this and look forward to doing this again. I think the UST paper, The Varsitarian, expressed interest in asking me to do a similar one for them. I am so honored. Grabe. And thanks to the CSB guys for being huge fans of Bleachers' Brew.

Thanks to PDI's Chito and Dennis for the invite. Muchos gracias. And thanks to the students for giving me copies of their school papers. I look forward to reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment