BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bulldog down

Manfred James Dandan was relieved of his head coach duties with NU today. A source said that the long-time NU coach was going to be axed last weekend but Typhoon Ondoy but it was to take effect today on the last day of September. When I asked Dandan if any reason was given for his sacking, he said he wasn't informed of any. 


In my opinion, the decision to axe Dandan was more or less formalized when they were ran off the court by the Ateneo Blue Eagles in the second round. After that match, I spoke with two ranking NU officials who were taking shots at Dandan outside the locker room. While they weren't expected to contend for the Final Four, they didn't expect to be pounded that bad all throughout. 

A former national coach is said to be the leading candidate to replace Dandan on the sidelines.

----

On a personal note: thanks, coach! See you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment