BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

More of my thoughts on the FEU-Barroca incident

When I was watching the FEU-UE Final Four match yesterday, I felt bad. Not just for Mark Barroca but the team, its coaches, management, and its students. I'm friends with many of them and it gives me no pleasure to take shots at them. I disagree with many of their policies and it's nothing personal.

Regarding the game, I thought they were tentative early on. They came back but come crunch time you could see how different they were. What -- if they play bad or commit an error benta na?

Hearing Anton Montinola and Mark Molina yesterday, I felt even worse. Yes, they were hurt. Double whammy because their team lost. And that gives no one pleasure save for UE or the other teams because on a pure basketball sense, it's not their problem. But go beyond that there's more to life than basketball.

I blame FEU for mishandling things. They handled it poorly. If they think that the players all blame Andy then what do you want them to say? Not presenting a united front will see them off on a one way ticket out of Morayta. I spoke with two of them yesterday and they were so nervous. They kept turning their heads looking around if anyone saw them talking. I understood and released them And will not quote them even anonymously.

About a dozen FEU students spoke with me after the game with some at the South Gate as I chatted with Mac Baracael. Everyone one of them don't believe the allegations (if there is then why isn't it vigorously pursued?). Some are classmates and see him all the time. Of course we don't know what people are up to 24/7. But still...

As he left the FEU campus for the last time picked up by three people, he sobbed long and hard into the night. His mother was right, he said. He should have never gone to Manila. But when you're upset you tend to say things that we don't mean, half mean, or really mean. He found his place in Manila and is ready to get back on track.

He will join the Smart Gilas team when they leave for Singapore to play the Singapore Slingers in an exhibition match. His teammates on the national team are giving him space and they don't talk about it. They'd rather talk about more pleasant things. But clearly, they can't wait to get back on court.

Some asked me if I thought that management was covering up shortcomings. I said I don't think so. I think that they have been paranoid about a lot of things. I don't think they engage in anything unlawful and rather than look at the flaws in their system they are quick to blame.

I blame the UAAP too for this. Its officials talk amongst themselves na si ganito benta, si ganyan benta. Alam niyo naman pala eh so why aren't you doing anything about it?

The obsession to win has made schools resort to unscrupulous practices where certain people are absolved of any blame. Pity Bader Malabes who packed his bags and left for Bahrain. I never liked him as a player but I certainly don't think he deserved the kind of treatment he got from different quarters considering he helped give their school a championship. And the same with many of his teammates who are at a crossroads as what to do and where to go. They are out of the spotlight now because of this incident between Mark Barroca and FEU.

On a basketball level, I don't give a crap because the signs are clear, you suck and they take it out on you. So who wants to play for someone who blames you for a loss? Keep it going I say and send your players to us. We're more than happy to accommodate them. But this goes beyond basketball and if we stop the yelling and taunting, we should realize that many of them are kids so much younger than you and me. Kids or young adults who have been thrust into the cold and real world that exists outside their school.

There are no winners here. We're only losers in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment