BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

A never-ending cycle of incompetence in Philippine sports

Today, Thursday January 28, 2010, at 10am in the Padilla Room of the Senate, there will be a inquiry into the issues surrounding sports such as the feud between the POC and PSC as well as the crappy state of our NSAs. Senator Pia Cayetano called for this in the light of our dismal performance in the last Southeast Asian Games. Aside from finishing fifth in the standings, there was controversy regarding cyclist Marites Bitbit who was disallowed from competing because of the infighting at the Integrated Cycling Society of the Philippines.

I'm really wondering what will come out from this. We've seen this time and again and nothing has happened. Poor finishes and controversy are common place here with no resolution or relief in sight.

Am I being too cynical about all this? If something does happen then I'd be happy to apologize and chip in to help fix stuff but I'll tell you, by next week all this is going to be a non-issue.

But I'm tackling local football issues again.

Wasn't it embarrassing that the Azkals lost to two Taiwanese teams in a friendly and one of them hardly prepped or practice for the game? And our U-16 team lost to a Don Bosco school from the province.

The last time that happened to us a national basketball team lost to a team of showbiz types and it bowled over the basketball NSA in more ways than one. And still here we are thinking that Fil-foreigners are the solution to all our problems.

All I can say, football, I'm back to tackling this issue and that's like throwing a grenade inside the foxhole.

No comments:

Post a Comment