BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Donaire wants Darchinyan

Nonito Donaire stated loud and clear that he wants the rematch with Darchinyan to materialize. "I want Darchinyan in that ring on August 21! I don't want anyone telling me that I didn't make this fight happen. Darchinyan signed his contract to fight me and I'm gonna be in that ring right in front of his face on August 21."

Donaire was awarded Knockout of the Year in 2007 for sending Darchinyan to the canvas in the 5th round.

"Cameron and I have agreed on this match. My team and I have agreed on this match. For the longest time Darchinyan kept saying it was a lucky punch. Well, I'm saying let's do it now. He has the belts and I want them...again!"

When we asked Donaire what the hold up was he shrugged his shoulders. "I have NO idea. I think Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions have come to an agreement. I'm just waiting for my contract. That's all the promoter stuff. But how can they stop this match? It's supposed to be the biggest grudge match in the lower weights! This fight is good for boxing. The promoters need to sit face to face and finish it."

Cameron Dunkin stated that, "this is the fight Nonito wants and he should get it. There shouldn't be a problem for him to fight Darchinyan. He has fought everyone that they've put infront of him. Now Nonito wants Darchinyan. They need to make this fight happen. People are already lining up to buy tickets for this rematch."

What about Montiel who just came off a stunning knockout over Japan's Hasegawa? "I called him out before," Nonito recalled. "I moved to 115 to fight him and when I did he moved up to 118!" I'll fight Montiel for his titles in 118 only AFTER I take Darchinyan's titles at 115."

No comments:

Post a Comment