BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Adidas: Declare your passion



Katy Perry? Okay, she might be hot but how does she fit in this? 


"All is in" is the latest TVC for adidas by Montreal, Canada-based ad agency Sid Lee. Yup. Now the sports brand has a new agency and I think it's pretty ballsy move. I think they previously did the adidas Originals Star Wars TV coms. The director is Romain Gervas, a French director who is known for trying to infuse grittiness in his work. And there's the electro house music that he loves which finds its way into the music. I love the Leo Messi and Derrick Rose parts but David Beckham's was kind of wanting. But in spite of that, I love Sid Lee's work especially their digital ones. I guess once an advertising man always an advertising man. 


Previously I made mention about my passion for art as well. As a kid, my siblings and I were all weaned on art. We went to art school (in Makati and later the CMLI). I painted and drew and to this day prefer water color. It was only later on that I shifted to writing. In fact, I am not the only one in my family to do that (shift from art to writing). There's my mom and my cousin Christine who used to write for the Philippine Daily Inquirer and now publishes Travelife magazine. 


My parents' house has paintings not only from my mother (who once painted at Rody Herrera's gallery) in Greenhills but my brothers as well. While I no longer draw much, I still love art and advertising. I once in a while purchase advertising and art books. I used to collect Heavy Metal (I loved the Cholly and Flytrap and The Sacred and the Profane series) as well as Epic Illustrated. My tastes are eclectic from Norman Rockwell (whose work I absolutely adore) to Andy Warhol to Roger Dean (who is one of my faves) to George Rodrigue to Hans Godo Frabel to Banksy. I love Rodrigue's Blue Dog series. If I do have money to spare, I hope to buy some of his works.

No comments:

Post a Comment