BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Another great pick up from Booksale

I loved Michael Lewis' Moneyball even if I think that it still doesn't work -- hey, what have the Oakland A's have to show for it? And I certainly loved Buzz Bissinger's "3 Nights in August" that is about a three-game series between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Chicago Cubs from the point of view of Cards' manager Tony LaRussa. 


The other day, I picked up this book at Booksale for P20!Yep, T W E N T Y  B U C K S!!! It's about that 163rd game of the 1978 Major League Baseball season that was a tie-breaker for the American League East title between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. New York was 14 games out of first place when they rallied in the last month to go ahead of the Red Sox. Boston battled back on the last day to even up matters with a 99-63 record. In order to decide the title, both clubs figured in a winner-take-all match at Fenway Park. 


I realize that Bradley, the author and the editor, committed huge mistakes especially when it comes to statistics and while I realize that, I am more into the backstory where they look at either inning from both teams' POV.


This is for fans of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment