BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Contributing to the Coach Baby Dalupan book


This is the cover to the upcoming book on the great Baby Dalupan. The book will be out on October 19, 2015 with a launch at the Ateneo de Manila. 

I used to write stories about Coach Baby's teams in Ateneo (where he was teammates with the late Moro Lorenzo). It was a series of stories titled, "Post-War Blues" as it was about the post-World War II years as the Blue Eagles crashed year in and out of NCAA title contention (yet winning a football championship).

While writing some of those stories, I interviewed Coach extensively in addition to having access to a  late Jesuit priest's diary about those teams. I also had stories in the Guidon and other Ateneo publications as reference. 

When I got asked by the Dalupan family to contribute to the book, I leapt at the chance. Why not? They used a couple of my articles on Coach's Ateneo teams then I wrote the chapters on Crispa and Great Taste. Mind you this isn't exactly a biography. It partly is. It's about the different facets of his life from the view of the sportswriters who covered him. 

Other people who contributed to the book include Coach Tim Cone (the foreword), Tessa Jazmines who wrote the chapter on Purefoods, and Sandy Arespacochaga among a few others.

More details on the launch as I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment